Performance Art

https://vimeo.com/264142276


At first, I had no idea what I was going to do for my performance art. I cant dance, I cant sing, and I cant play any instruments. So I went online and looked at famous performance arts and the one that caught my eye was Andy Warhol eating a hamburger. So I kind of went with his Idea except I got one of my friends to put on the baby outfit and he let me feed him like a big baby. The reactions we got mostly were people just thought it was hilarious and It was pretty fun to do watching all the people laugh at us.

The first performance artist that I enjoy is Andy Warhol. That's who inspired my video like I said. I like the video because of how simple it is. He doesn't say a word, just opens a burger king bag, unwraps the hamburger and just eats it. Then at the end, he says his name and says he just ate a hamburger. Anytime I think of performance art I always think someone dancing or someone singing but Mr. Warhol found art out of simplicity and that is something I really like about him. The technology wasn't a huge part of that video besides the camera recording it but Mr. Warhol did use different ways of technology. One way was while being a painter and a sculptor, he experimented with silkscreening. It was a form of printmaking that reproduced colored artwork using cut stencil attached to a stretched, fine-meshed silkscreen.

The next artist I enjoyed was VALIE EXPORT. The first video I saw of her was Facing a family. It reminded me so much of the Warhol video because of how simple it was. A family sitting at the table just watching some tv, staying hydrated, and dad just smoking a cigarette. I feel like she made this piece because It could of related to so many families back then. A middle-class family just enjoying each others company, sitting at the table.  Although a lot of her pieces don't usually contain technology she uses TVs and cameras.

The last artist I enjoyed was Marina Abramovic. She refers to herself as the grandmother of performance art. The first piece I saw by her was her sitting in a seat in front of a table and another person from the audience in the other chair and she just stared at them. She called it The artist is present she sat silently in a chair at the museum of modern art for 3 months and just stared at people.  She's similar to Mr. Warhol and Ms. EXPORT because of their simplicity in their performing arts. Marina Abramovic does more with involving the audience and she likes to test the limits of the human body.

What is to be done in the field of Performance Art: I don't think there is anything that has to be done in performance art. I believe performance art will continue to grow because people on this earth get more and more creative every day. Performance arts will only get better because of all the old performance arts there are to learn from.

Comments

Popular Posts